American Stage In The Park - St Petersburg FL
"HAIR" - the tribal rock musical in downtown St Pete
American Stage In The Park, celebrated its 25th Anniversary in St Petersburg FL with the rock musical, HAIR. Demens Landing Park looked like the assisted living bus pulled up for a love-in.
This is the fourth year we have attended the annual springtime theater under the stars production in downtown St Pete, and we came away...confused.
I guess HAIR has that affect on most people who attend.
We got to Demens Landing Park (on the southern end of the St Petersburg Waterfront Parks system) about an hour early because we figured this would be a heavily attended play.
We were right, but what we were not counting on was the sight of retirees older than us dressed like Woodstock refugees and peaceniks from the 60's. talk about a "trip." This was the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" for guys on Geritol and Viagra. It was people-watching at it's best.
The great thing about American Stage In The Park is that you can bring your own food and (non-alcoholic) beverages to this open-air production, and have a relaxing picnic prior to the scheduled play.
Set right next to the St Petersburg Municipal Marina, you get to enjoy outdoor theater with the smell of clear salt air. Talk about living the Florida beach lifestyle...
A short pictorial essay of HAIR at American Stage In The Park
American Stage In The Park is great idea for part of your cheap Florida beach vacation. Our tickets were only $11 dollars apiece.
American Stage In The Park Information
* All ticket sales are final. There are NO refunds for bad weather.
* Plan ahead, pack a good picnic dinner.
* You may bring a cooler, but NO alcoholic beverages are allowed. Do NOT try to sneak them in, you'll just embarrass yourself when you get caught.
*You can purchase beer, wine, pop, and bottled water inside Demens Landing Park.
*Bring your own aluminum folding chairs because the plays usually last a bit longer than two hours.
* No smoking, no cell phones, no pets.
* There can be NO photography of the performance.
* There is a 15 minute Intermission and plenty of Port-a-Potties.
* Make sure you bring a sweatshirt and light jacket. It is about 15 degrees cooler down in the park once the sun goes down because of the breeze blowing in from Tampa Bay.